In March alone last year, the city recorded 9.44 inches of rain. It is more than the data recorded at Sea-Tac Airport in 1950, which was only 8.40 inches. It also surpassed the Federal Building’s record of 7.23 inches, which was set the same year.
Continuous rainfall and heavy downpour may damage your home, particularly your roofing. We’ll never know if the weather for the coming months will surpass last year’s record, so it’s better to be prepared.
One way to protect your home from extreme weather conditions is to make sure your roof is in top shape. Here are some tips you can follow:
1. Inspect your roof. If it’s dangerous to get up on the roof, a pair of binoculars may help you check for damaged parts from the ground. Can’t get a good look? Let our roofing contractor in Federal Way inspect your roof for you!
Look for warped and damaged shingles and replace them as needed to avoid leaks. Additionally, inspect the flashing at the walls, chimney, vent pipes, and skylights. Replace if they are already deteriorating as water can seep through them.
2. Seal any joint susceptible to water penetration. Do this with a caulking gun and roofing cement. Loose parts on your roof may serves as entry points for leaks that can damage your interiors.
3. Check the gutters. Repair sagging gutters immediately as the weight of water may pull them off your house. Remove leaves and other debris from your gutters.
4. Inspect the downspouts. Make sure they are clear of obstruction so water can run through efficiently. To avoid flooding, downspouts should extend at least five feet from your home.
5. Evaluate your roof’s overall condition. Is it past its lifetime? Are the issues beyond repair? In some cases, it’s better to replace the roof to avoid recurring problems and keep your home safe against harsh weather conditions.
Prepare your roof for the wet months to come. Let Tedrick’s Roofing help you. We provide free estimates for residents of Federal Way, Des Moines, and Kent. Just give us a call at (877) 212-9355 regarding any of your Federal Way roofing needs. Our dedicated staff will be glad to assist you.