Many homeowners tend to subscribe to the “out of sight, out of mind” mindset once their new Des Moines roofing is installed. The truth is, they shouldn’t.
Think of the maintenance tasks you do for your car: changing the oil, rotating the tires, replacing the brake pads, among others. Some of these can you can do by yourself, others require an expert mechanic. Your roof (and your home in general) should receive the same amount of care and maintenance – after all, it keeps you protected against the elements all year round.
That being said, here are a few things you should know about roof maintenance:
- Regular maintenance gives you more time between replacements. The point behind maintenance is, after all, extending your roof’s life. Modern residential and commercial roofing in Auburn can have a life expectancy of at least 20 years if properly installed and maintained; non-maintained roofs only have 10 to 15 years at best.
- Maintenance avoids structural damage. Take leaks for example: unattended leaks can lead to rot, rust, and mold growth, compromising your home’s structural integrity over time.
- Be preventive, not reactive. That old saying about an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure certainly rings true here. Regular maintenance preempts problems that would otherwise have been addressed right from the start.
- You can perform your own inspections – safely. We always remind customers to leave the dangerous work to professionals like us, who have the proper safety gear and insurance. That said, you can perform basic roof inspections from the ground using binoculars. You can also go through every room and look for stains on the ceiling – a sure sign of leaks.
- Neglect can void your warranty. Most roofing material manufacturers specifically state this in their warranties, so never neglect your roofs. A maintenance check and roof repair in Des Moines every six months (plus another after a storm or something similar) is recommended. It’s best to hire the same roofing contractor who installed your roof, as they will be familiar with your roof system.
If you’d like to experience the difference of professionally maintained roofs, call Tedrick’s Roofing today at (877) 212-9355 or use our contact form.