How often do you think about your home’s roof? If you are like most people not very often! As long as your Tacoma roofing system is doing the job of keeping the elements out, you simply put it out of your mind. But to make sure you roof continues to do its job, Tedrick’s Roofing recommends you watch for these danger signs, as outlined by GAF, the nation’s leading manufacturer of roofing systems.
Any or all of these danger signs may indicate a problem is brewing with your Auburn roofing.
- Leak in the attic after wind-driven rain. This may be caused by inadequate shingle underlayment or deteriorating flashing.
- Leak in attic after ice build-up. Inadequate shingle underlayment and difference in attic/roof temperature can cause ice dams and water backup.
- Blistering or peeling of interior or exterior paint. Poor attic ventilation or seeping water can cause paint to lose adhesion.
- Water stains on walls or ceilings. This may indicate water seeping into the home.
- Mold or mildew growth on walls or ceilings. Another indicate of water seepage.
- Decaying roof shingles. This may be caused by inadequate attic ventilation, or aging of the roof.
- Missing, cracked or curling shingles. Indicates shingles have reached the end of their useful life.
- Dark patches on roof. Can be caused by fungus growth and decay of granules on shingles.
- Excessive energy costs. Insufficient attic ventilation can cause your heating and cooling system to run excessively.
The above items can indicate that there is already a problem with your roofing system, however, there comes a time when a roof is simply too old, worn or damaged to repair. Here are signs to look for that may indicate you need to hire an expert in roof replacement and roof repair Auburn to replace your roof:
- Granules accumulating in the gutter, a sign that shingles have become worn
- Several missing shingles from different parts of the roof
- Shingles that are curled or cracked, indicating they are dried out and failing
- Excessive mold or moss growing on the roof
- Dampness or dark patches on the underside of the roof deck (visible from the attic)
- Discolored streaks along exterior walls, indicating rain washing down
- Missing or loose flashing around chimneys, valleys and vent pipes
- Frequent buildup of ice dams in the gutters during the winter
- On metal roofs, rust spots or rusty streaks
- On wood shake roofs, split or splintering shakes
If you see any of these signs on your Auburn roofing system, call the experts at Tedrick’s Roofing to conduct a complete inspection and assessment of your roof’s condition. We’ll provide a written evaluation and “plan of action” for repair or replacement. Don’t wait until your roof starts to leak and threatens the structure of your home.
Take time at least once every year to look for these danger signals. And every 3-5 years call the experts in roof repair Kent and Auburn trust- Tedrick’s Roofing- to conduct a full, professional roof inspection.